Recipe for New England Clam Chowder
Get cozy with this #LEVOmade recipe for New England clam chowder, no matter the season.
- 4 slices bacon, diced, 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 onion, diced
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup vegetable stock
- 2 cans of chopped clams, juices reserved (~6.5 oz)
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 russet potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 cup half and half
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley leaves
- Pack LEVO Pod with minced garlic and thyme.
- Begin infuse cycle at 160 F for 60 minutes in unsalted butter.
- Heat a large stockpot over medium high heat. Add bacon and cook until brown and crispy, about 6-8 minutes. Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate, reserving 1 tablespoon excess fat
- set aside.
- Melt infused butter in the stockpot. Add onion and cook, stirring frequently, until onions have become translucent, about 2-3 minutes.
- Whisk in flour until lightly browned, about 1 minute. Gradually whisk in milk, vegetable stock, clam juice and bay leaf, and cook, whisking constantly, until slightly thickened, about 1-2 minutes.
- Stir in potatoes. Bring to a boil
- reduce heat and simmer until potatoes are tender, about 12-15 minutes.
- Stir in half and half and clams until heated through, about 1-2 minutes
- season with salt and pepper, to taste.*
- Serve immediately, garnished with bacon and parsley, if desired. Enjoy!
Note: If the soup is too thick, add more half and half as needed until desired consistency is reached. If you make this soup at home, let us know what other herbs you used and share what you make with #LEVOmade.