Recipe for Apple Streusel Muffins
Moist, fluffy and perfectly spiced, this recipe for apple streusel muffins will substitute your typical morning doughnut.
- 3 small apples, peeled and chopped into small chunks
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2-3 tablespoons of cinnamon sticks, roughly chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- (Add a tablespoon of cinnamon infused oil for extra flavor!)
For the streusel
- Pack LEVO Pod with a combined 2-3 tablespoon of cinnamon.*
- Begin infuse cycle at 160 F for 60 minutes in vegetable oil.
- Preheat the oven to 400F.
- Grease a 12-hole muffin pan and set aside.
- Whisk the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and spices in its own bowl.
- Whisk together the egg, buttermilk, infused vegetable oil, and vanilla extract.
- Then pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients, and mix until combined and somewhat lumpy.
- Gently fold in the apple chunks.
For the streusel
- In a small bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, and cinnamon.
- Add the melted butter, and mix until evenly distributed and the mixture is crumbly.
- Spoon the batter into the prepared pan, top with the streusel, and bake for 15 – 20 minutes (Note: or until a toothpick inserted into the middle and it comes out clean.)
- Allow to cool for 5 – 10 minutes in the pan before transferring them to a wire rack to cool completely.
- When you pair with a cup of tea or coffee, share what you make with #LEVOmade.
*Note: For those interested in an edible experience, substitute with your favorite dried flower and infuse for up to 2.5 hours.