How to Make Space Cake
Space cake originated in Amsterdam and has long been considered a staple hemp edible. The foundation of this delectable treat is a plain sponge cake but it can be enhanced with all sorts of ingredients including vanilla, nuts, fruit, spices, and chocolate. In our variation of the classic space cake we will be using graham crackers, egg whites, a chocolate glaze, and of course – hemp-infused butter to enrich this timeless recipe.
Making Space Cake with LĒVO Home Infusion Machines
Making your own edibles has long been a labor-intensive and messy task. However, thanks to LĒVO's proprietary technology, you can dry, activate, and infuse any herb you like (including hemp flower) by simply pressing a button. This all-in-one home infusion machine is a small miracle that will save you a huge amount of time, mess and money. Now you can focus on other tasks, like gathering the ingredients for your space cake, while LĒVO does all the work for you.
The LĒVO II, LĒVO LUX and LĒVO C machines can infuse practically any fatty substance, from milk, honey, and glycerin to oils and butter. Every LĒVO machine comes with a reservoir, a Power Pod for your herbs, and a silicone stirrer. All parts are non-toxic and dishwasher safe. All our LĒVO devices come in beautiful colors that are sure to pair with your personality and your kitchen.
Hemp Infused MCT Oil for Space Cake
Before other types of edibles came into existence -- including gummies, lollipops, and artisan candies -- space cake was the king of all edibles.
The first thing you will need to do before you start baking your space cake is prepare your infused hemp oil. For our space cake recipe, we are going to use a neutral oil, MCT oil, though hemp-infused coconut oil would also work!
To create your infusion using the LĒVO II or another LĒVO home infusion device, follow these directions:
- Place your herbs into the Power Pod (included with your LĒVO purchase). Our herb pod can hold up to 7 grams of hemp flower (You can also use two pods at once to double the potency of your infusion!) If you have a lower tolerance or don’t have a lot of experience consuming edibles, you may want to infuse with a lower quantity.
- Place the herb pod into the basin and fill the basin with oil until the pod is submerged.
- For MCT oil, set the temperature to 185-200°F and allow the herbs to infuse for at least 2.5 hours. For a more potent infusion, infuse lower and slower, up to 10 hours maximum. You can save your time and temperature settings to your LĒVO device for next time.
- Pour the infusion into a container and seal it with a lid. At LĒVO, we love to use glass mason jars for storing infusions. You should have plenty of infused MCT oil left over, so feel free to store it in the refrigerator or freezer to keep the oil fresh.
Once the oil has been infused, you can begin working on your space cake!
Graham Cracker Space Cake
- 3 tbsp infused MCT or other neutral oil
- ½ C granulated sugar, divided
- 1 C graham cracker crumbs
- 2 large eggs, separated
- ⅓ C whole milk
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- ¼ C all-purpose flour
- ½ tbsp baking powder
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Egg whites from 2 eggs
- 1 pinch kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon cream of tartar
- ¾ C sugar, divided
- 6 tbsp room temperature butter
- 4½ oz dark chocolate
- 1 tbsp honey
- Dash of salt
Egg White Frosting (Meringue)
Dark Chocolate Ganache Glaze
Preheat your oven to 350°F.
Place a layer of parchment paper over the pan, then grease the parchment with butter or a non-dairy equivalent. Sprinkle flour over the butter.
- Beat the egg whites using a whisk or electric mixer. Once they become frothy, continue mixing while adding ¼ cup of sugar. The mixture should firm up and have a glossy appearance.
- Add graham cracker crumbs to a bowl along with the rest of the sugar (¼ cup), baking powder, salt, and flour. Whisk these ingredients together until well-combined, then add wet ingredients: egg yolks, oil, vanilla, and milk. Using a whisk or electric mixer, whip the ingredients together for a couple of minutes.
- Carefully fold egg whites into the mixture.
- Once the egg whites are fully incorporated, pour evenly into the cake pan.
- Place the cake pan in the oven and bake for up to 25 minutes. When it is finished, the cake should have a sponge-like texture that slowly “re-inflates” when prodded. Cool completely before adding frosting.
- For the frosting, use a whisk or electric mixer to combine cream of tartar and egg whites in a large bowl. Beat for several minutes until the mixture stiffens, and then add the vanilla extract and the salt.
- Combine ¾ cup of sugar and ¼ cup of water into a small pot over medium heat. Using a candy thermometer, wait for the mixture to reach 235°F. Remove from heat and slowly combine with the frosting. The frosting should thicken up as the hot syrup is added.
- For the chocolate ganache, mix all the ingredients together in a bain-marie (double boiler). You can also make your own double boiler using a Pyrex or metal mixing bowl and a saucepan. Once the mixture is fully melted and combined, let it cool. Wait until it reaches 90°F, then begin frosting the cake.
Remove the sponge cake from its pan using the parchment paper underneath it. Slice the cake across the middle horizontally so that there are two halves, one on top of the other. Temporarily remove the top half and set aside.
Coat the bottom of the plate with a little chocolate ganache to ensure the bottom half of the cake does not move.
Spread the meringue evenly over the top of the bottom half of the cake.
Replace the top half of the cake, setting it down gently atop the meringue.
Coat the entire top of the cake with the chocolate glaze and dig in!
If you enjoyed this recipe, be sure to check out our edible mixes for more delicious, quick and easy edibles.
Leave a comment
The worlds first patented oil infuser that lightly dries herbs fresh from your garden, activates their maximum potency, and infuses them into just about anything. Great for daily, small batch, artisanal infusions.
Experience infüsionwith our most elegant, intelligent machine yet: LĒVO LUX. Artfully infuse any herb, spice, fruit, coffee bean, & more into oils, butters, and honeys to create Michelin Star-quality meals.
LĒVO C is the first large batch infusing solution that is dishwasher safe, has a built-in activation cycle for maximum potency. Perfect for making large 1 liter batches for high frequency users and small businesses.