Easy DIY Lip Balm
Burt’s Bees created a market for natural products made from beeswax, including lip balm, hand salve, and others. The formulations for their products were the soul of simplicity, usually made up of beeswax with natural oils added that softened the skin and had an appealing scent.
However, after they were bought in 2007 by Clorox, the corporate version uses filler ingredients like lanolin, soybean oil, paraffin, and canola oil. The original formulation for Burt’s Bees beeswax lip balm was beeswax with a small amount of peppermint and coconut oil.
Luckily, making your own homemade beeswax lip balm is relatively easy and makes a great homemade product to share with your friends and family. If you’re looking for an easy way to infuse your favorite botanicals into your lip balm (including infused coconut oil), here is an easy and effective way to do just that.
Below is a recipe for an infused lip balm that you can make at home. By making your own lip balm, you’ll know exactly what ingredients are used and if you’d like to make a slight variation, that’s easy to do.
High-quality pure beeswax is the most important ingredient, so source your beeswax carefully. It is worthwhile to find organic beeswax because it will not have contaminants or pesticides. Also, local honey and beeswax are considered best to help alleviate allergies in the area.
Using food-grade beeswax and oils is important because the lip balm will be applied near your mouth.
Investing in a good candy thermometer and a double boiler is worthwhile too. Getting the temperature right is important, and a cheap thermometer can ruin the recipe. A double boiler and a good thermometer ensure the temperature rises slowly, and the ingredients do not get overheated.
Lastly, have fun and experiment. In this recipe, you can use different carrier oils (like coconut oil and almond oil) and essential oils for different flavors and scents. Every time you make lip balm, it‘s an opportunity to expand your knowledge and creativity.
Easy DIY Lip Balm
Make your own easy DIY lip balm using the flavors of your choosing, such as vanilla, lavender, and rose.
- 1/2 cup infused coconut oil
- 1/2 cup infused shea butter
- 1 cup beeswax or (vegan) carnauba wax
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- Infuse your coconut oil and shea butter with the flavor or your choice (flower, mint, vanilla- or a combination of faves!)
- After infusing, add wax and allow to melt and combine inside your LEVO.
- Stir well and pour into lip balm containers (tubes or tins work great).
- Let the mixture cool to harden.
- Looking for a tinted option? Get fancy with Alkanet Root, a natural dye that imparts a rosy red hue when infused. You can infuse Alkanet directly in your LEVO for a rosy hue to your balm!
- Share what you make with @LEVO_Oil and be sure to tag it with #LEVOmade.
Leave a comment
The worlds first patented oil infuser that lightly dries herbs fresh from your garden, activates their maximum potency, and infuses them into just about anything. Great for daily, small batch, artisanal infusions.
LĒVO C is the first large batch infusing solution that is dishwasher safe, has a built-in activation cycle for maximum potency. Perfect for making large 1 liter batches for high frequency users and small businesses.