Did you know that you can make a natural and organic hand sanitizer at home with your LĒVO? By adding bacteria fighting herbs, like lemongrass and citrus, this recipe is a no brainer for keeping a sanitizing supply within reach. Together we can promote good health, proper hygiene, and cut costs from excessive buying of unnatural, potentially harmful hand sanitizers. Follow our DIY natural hand sanitizer recipe now!
DIY Natural Hand Sanitizer Recipe
2 hours 5 minutes
Follow our DIY natural hand sanitizer recipe for an organic, non-toxic homemade hand sanitizer.
- 3 parts isopropyl alcohol (use 70-91% concentration for the best antimicrobial efficacy)
- 1 part vegetable glycerin
2-3 tbsp of dried organic lavender flowers
1-2 tbsp of organic citrus zest (try grapefruit or lemon)
1-2 tbsp of dried organic lemongrass (or try sandalwood)
(Optional CBD component) 2.5 grams of CBD-rich flower
Before the hand sanitizer is mixed, first prepare the herbal infusion of the vegetable glycerine inside the LĒVO machine.
- Fill the LEVO herb pod about 2/3 of the way with the dried lavender, shaved citrus zest, and lemongrass. Adjust the ratio of ingredients inside the herb pod as you see fit, and depending on personal preference and desired scent. Add the herb pod to the LEVO reservoir at the “Place Pod Here” marker.
- *Optional CBD infusion: If you decide to add CBD-rich hemp flower to your recipe, add the CBD hemp flower to the herb pod at this step, along with the other ingredients, before starting the infusion cycle.
- Add 1-2 cups of vegetable glycerin to the LEVO reservoir, making sure to fully submerge the ingredients inside the herb pod with the liquid.
- Set the infusion for 2.5 hours at 185°F, add the stirring paddle to the bottom of the reservoir, and press start. After the infusion cycle is complete, dispense the liquid into a clean container and let cool completely.
- In a clean mixing bowl, add 1 part* infused vegetable glycerine and 3 parts* isopropyl alcohol and mix together until fully combined.
- *For example, to fill an 8oz bottle with your homemade sanitizer, mix ¼ cup infused glycerine and ¾ cup alcohol.
- Transfer to a bottle and let sit for 6 hours before using to ensure total sanitation of the mixture.
- Share with friends & family to enjoy clean hands and peace of mind!
- A friendly reminder that washing your hands as often as possible is still the best remedy for fighting germs and bacteria. Share what you make with #LEVOmade and feel free to highlight any herbal combinations or scents that you love!
Disclaimer: To effectively kill germs, the CDC recommends consumers use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer that contains at least 60% alcohol. This recipe calls for 75% alcohol content, but has not been independently verified by an outside lab source.