VdP Presents: The Edible Leaf Risotto for Beginners
2 hours 5 minutes
- 1½ cups arborio rice
- 1 qt vegetable stock
- ½ cup vermouth or another dry white wine
- 1 medium shallot or ½ small onion, chopped (about ½ cup)
- 4 Tbsp whole butter, divided
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 Tbsp chopped Italian parsley
- Kosher salt, to taste
- Fill LEVO pod with 3.5 grams of activated flower. Fill reservoir with 8 oz Ghee (this will be at half capacity, so make sure your pod is submerged before infusing!). Set LEVO for 200°F / 93.3°C for 2.5 hours to infuse. Dispense into mason jar or another airtight container like LEVO’s Herb Blocks.
- Heat the stock to a simmer in a medium saucepan, then lower the heat so that the stock just stays hot.
- In a large, heavy-bottomed saucepan, heat 2 Tbsp of the butter over medium heat. When the butter has melted, add the chopped shallot or onion. Sauté for 2–3 minutes or until slightly translucent.
- Add the rice to the pot and stir it briskly with a wooden spoon so that the grains are coated with melted butter. Sauté for another minute or so, until there is a slightly nutty aroma. But don’t let the rice turn brown. Add the wine and cook while stirring, until the liquid is fully absorbed.
- Add a ladle of hot vegetable stock to the rice and stir until the liquid is fully absorbed. When the rice appears almost dry, add another ladle of stock and repeat the process. It’s important to stir constantly, especially while the hot stock gets absorbed, to prevent scorching, and add the next ladle as soon as the rice is almost dry.
- Continue adding ladles of hot stock and stirring the rice while the liquid is absorbed. As it cooks, you’ll see that the rice will take on a creamy consistency as it begins to release its natural starches. After 20–30 minutes or until the grains are tender but still firm to the bite, without being crunchy. If you run out of stock and the risotto still isn’t done, you can finish the cooking using hot water. Just add the water as you did with the stock, a ladle at a time, stirring while it’s absorbed.
- Stir in the remaining 2 Tbsp butter, the Parmesan cheese, and the parsley, and season to taste with Kosher salt.
- Feel free to add chopped mushrooms, peas, asparagus if you’d like to add a veggie component!