Olive Oil Cake
- 3/4 cup flower-infused extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cups flour (I prefer whole wheat)
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup whole milk
- 2 large organic eggs
- 1 whole vanilla bean pod
- 2 organic lemons zested (reserve juice for a drink while you wait for your cake to finish baking)
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- In a separate larger bowl, whisk together the eggs and granulated sugar.
- Add the lemon zest and infused olive oil to your wet ingredients and mix until combined (you can always use regular olive oil or even substitute the olive oil for butter for a super decadent cake).
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet and stir to mix.
- Add milk and mix until the batter comes together.
- Pour the batter into a well greased medium sized cast-iron skillet.
- Bake 30 to 35 minutes or until the cake is slightly golden brown and set on top.
- Test with a toothpick. When finished, remove the cast iron skillet from the oven and let for 20-30 minutes.
- Remove from pan, dust with powdered sugar, and serve as a dessert, enjoy with coffee, or even use a a garnish for a sparkling champagne cocktail.
- This super easy and shareable microdosed edible recipe harks back to my Mediterranean roots and is sure to add a bit of panache to your next festive gathering. It’s great with champagne and perfect for the canna-curious. Enjoy!