Sunscreen Lotion Bar Recipe
When the sun shines, you'll need to protect your skin from the sun's piercing rays. Try our sunscreen lotion bar recipe for some plant-based, non-toxic sun protection. Simply apply this sunscreen lotion bar post-shower or bath before headed outside for an extra boost of plant-powered SPF.
Since they’re not water-based, lotion bars have a longer shelf life than many sunscreens sold in stores. Pro Tip: Use the expiration date of the ingredient that expires first to know when your DIY sunscreen lotion bar should be used by.
In our #LEVOmade sunscreen lotion bar recipe, we utilize a zinc oxide powder, which is a mineral used in many creams and ointments to prevent or treat sunburn. That's not all zinc oxide power is good for. Other benefits include healing epidermal wounds, burns, and rashes. Unlike many chemical sunscreens that you likely find in your local drugstore, zinc oxide powder protects against UVA and UVB light rays, making the perfect natural, non-toxic sunscreen component to incorporate in your routine.
We’ve paired zinc oxide with carrot seed oil, a natural ingredient that helps smooth lines and repair sun damage. It is rich in beta carotene, vitamins A and E and pro-vitamin A that helps with healing dry, chapped, or cracked skin. Carrot seed also helps balance the moisture in skin and reduce wrinkles—a double whammy! If spending extended time in the sun or water, we always recommend using high SPF lotion in conjunction with your homemade bar!
Sunscreen Lotion Bar Recipe
Looking for plant-powered, non-toxic sunscreen? Make your own sunscreen lotion bar for healthy daily protection from the sun.
- 1/4 cup shea butter
- 1/4 cup beeswax pellets
- 1/2 cup coconut oil
- 1 tablespoon vitamin E oil
- 1 tablespoon sweet almond oil
- 2-3 tablespoons of dried lavender
- 4 drops of a carrot seed oil (if available)
- 3 tablespoons non-nano particle zinc oxide powder
- Silicone mold of your choice
- Pack LEVO Pod with a combined 2-3 tablespoon of dried lavender.
- Begin infuse cycle at 175 F for 30 minutes in coconut oil.
- After infusion, remove the pod.
- Add shea butter, beeswax pellets, sweet almond oil and vitamin E oil, then infuse for another 5 minutes or until melted oil.
- Dispense infusion into a large bowl and whisk zinc oxide powder carefully. Be careful not to inhale it!
- After everything is fully mixed, pour mixture into your silicone mold and allow it to cool completely. (Pro Tip: Put into fridge to expedite the process!)
- Once the bars are completely cooled, store them in an airtight container in fridge until ready to use.
- Protect your skin and keep it hydrated all summer long. And as always, share what you make with @LEVO_Oil and be sure to tag it with #LEVOmade.