2-for-1 Treat: LEVO Lip Balm + Infused Latte
Our friends at Hempsley are a great resource for learning all about the health benefits of herbal infusions. These recipes harness the benefits of rose and eucalyptus with the option to add flower for flower benefits, too.
The dry climate here in Colorado makes lip balm a year round necessity, so when we came by a recipe for a homemade version that doubles as a cuticle cream, we fell in love. Wherever you are, keep your kisser kissable and your hands smooth all winter long with this super simple recipe.
And then snuggle up with a warm latte that packs an extra punch of flavor using that same infusion you used to make your lip balm + cuticle cream! Three treats from one infusion...what more could you ask for?!
Make one batch of rose coconut oil infusion and you can use it for lip balm (that doubles as a cuticle cream) and a cardamom rose latte. Just be sure to save a tablespoon of rose oil infusion for your latte before adding the beeswax and eucalyptus oil.
Rose Coconut Oil Infusion + Lip Balm
- 1 T dried rose petals (you can buy these in the bulk herb section of a natural market)
- 1/2 c. coconut oil
- 1/4 c. beeswax pellets (you can also buy these in your local natural market and be sure to get the pellets, not the large bars, which won't melt easily)
- 8 drops of eucalyptus essential oil (don't skimp here, buy a high quality essential oil for max health benefits)
- Fill your LEVO herb pod with the rose petals
- Add coconut oil to LEVO reservoir
- your coconut oil can be solid at this point. Your LEVO will liquefy it for you!
- Set temperature to 170°F and time to 30 minutes
- After 30 minutes and while the infusion is still hot, open up your LEVO and remove the herb pod. If you want to make a cardamom rose latte, save 2 T of infusion right now! If not, continue with step #5
- Add beeswax pellets to the coconut oil infusion and set LEVO to 150°F for 5 minutes
- Dispense oil into jar immediately before the beeswax hardens
- Add eucalyptus oil
You can fill small jars, lip balm tubs or tins, or tradish roll-up tubes with your rose and eucalyptus infusions to carry it with you wherever you go. Use it to keep your lips smooth and dab a bit on your cuticles and massage it in to keep your hands soft too!
Make this latte cold if you'd like, but the Team and LEVO prefer a hot cozy beverage as the temps drop through fall and winter. Just use your favorite brew and the rose coconut oil infusion (without the beeswax and eucalyptus oil!).
Cardamom Rose Latte
- 1 T of rose coconut oil infusion (no beeswax or eucalyptus!)
- 1 c. your favorite coffee (french press, pour over, drop, chemix, or a double shot of your favorite espresso...whatever you prefer!)
- 1 c. milk (cow, almond, cashew, soy...pick your fav)
- 1 tsp cardamom seeds
- For the freshest flavor and best health benefits, use 5-8 whole cardamom pods, which you can find in your local natural market, but if need be, some ground cardamom will do just fine. Use about 1 tsp ground cardamom.
- sweetener to taste (try honey!)
- Brew your favorite cup of coffee.
- While your coffee is brewing, harvest your cardamom seeds:
- Gently press the cardamom pods to open them and release the seeds (a mortar and pestle works great here, but so do a spoon and a cutting board)
- Crush the seeds with the back of a spoon or with your mortar and pestle
- Warm up your milk of choice. Use your microwave, slowly heat it over a stove, or if you have a steamer or frother, put that gadget to use!
- Pour your brew into a large cup with room for milk
- Add in the rose coconut oil infusion (and sweetener if you'd like) and give it a good stir
- Top off with the hot milk
- Sprinkle on the cardamom (and extra rose petals if you're feelin' fancy), put on your favorite sweater, and sip and feel cozy! For some extra cozy, enjoy your latte with some chocolate-dipped GF peanut butter cookies.
Ops for Cannabinoid InfusionYou can add in cannabinoids along the way for both your lip balm + cuticle cream or into your warm cozy cardamom rose latte:
- Add flower to your coconut oil infusion along with the rose petals in your LEVO herb pod
- Add your own tincture to your finished lip balm when you add the eucalyptus oil or add the tincture to your latte before adding the hot milk
Pro tip: Infused balms make a wonderful homemade gift for loves ones!
Photography and recipes by Hempsley. Visit their site for more info on the health benefits of cannabinoids, plus helpful tips for using your LEVO!