Holiday Humboldt Humble Pie
The name might be a tongue twister, but making this lovely pie is easy as, well....pie! This pie is loaded with tart apples, pineapple, and cranberries, all hugged cozy with a flaky canna crust. This recipe comes your way from our friend Jeff the 420 Chef.
Holiday Humboldt Humble Pie
Ingredients for the crust:
- 1 2/3 cup Unbleached All Purpose Flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 cup Crisco
- 2 tablespoons of LEVO infused butter
- 2 tablespoons grass fed butter
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon buttermilk + 1 tablespoon water
Ingredients for the filling:
- 1/2 cup fresh cranberries (prep the day before)
- 1 granny smith apple, sliced into 1/4 inch thick slices
- 1/4 cup pineapple chunks
- 1/3 cup raw cane sugar
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
Ingredients for sugar and spice sprinkle topping:
- 1 egg white
- 1/4 cup raw cane sugar + 1 teaspoon cinnamon + 1 teaspoon nutmeg (mixed together)
Instructions to prep the cranberries and pineapples:
- Place cranberries and cloves in a large glass bowl.
- In a small pot, simmer sugar, maple syrup, and water (DO NOT BOIL)
- Remove from heat, pour over cranberries, cover, and refrigerate overnight.
- Drain the pineapple and cut each chunk into quarters. Place on a parchment paper lined container (small baking sheet or a plate). DO NOT COVER. Place in the refrigerator overnight.
Instructions for the crust:
- Combine ingredients in a large bowl.
- Using 2 knives or a pastry cutter, cut in the Crisco, butter, and infused butter.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the egg and buttermilk + water together. Sprinkle over the flour mixture.
- Knead together, adding a bit of extra water if needed to make the dough smooth.
- Form the dough into a ball and then flatten into a disk, wrap in plastic, and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
Instructions for the filling:
- Mix 1/4 cup flower, 1/3 cup cane sugar, and 1 tablespoon of cinnamon in a small bowl.
- Remove cloves and drain cranberries. Dry them by cradling them (over a bowl) in paper towels. Remove any remaining cloves.
- In a large bowl, toss the cranberries, apples, and pineapple chunks with the sugar and flour mixture.
Instructions for assembling and baking:
- On a well-floured surface, roll the crust into a 13-14 inch circle, and transfer it to a round baking dish.
- Pile the sugared fruit in the center of the crust, leaving about 4 inches of bare crust all the way around.
- Fold the crust up over the fruit, pinching or pleating as you go, leaving a few inches of fruit exposed in the center.
- Using a spray bottle or your fingertips, gently wet the crust with water and sprinkle with sugar and spice garnish.
- Bake the pie in a preheated 425°F oven for about 35 minutes, or until the filling is bubbling and the edges of the crust are brown.
- Remove the pie from the oven and let cool for 15-30 minutes before cutting. Best eaten warm, but leftovers (if there are any) will last up to 3 days in the refrigerator.
Pro Tip: Can't get your hands on a gorgeous leaf to garnish with like the one in the title image? Print the image, then gently cut the leaf out of the image to make a stencil. Lay the stencil over the pie and sprinkle with powdered sugar or cocoa powder. Remove the stencil gently and admire your artwork!
Show us what you're serving! Share your pics with @LEVO_Oil and let everyone know it's #LEVOmade.