How To Make Your Own Aloe Vera Gel
Is there such a thing as being sun-wasted? Maybe you’re burnt like a lobster or your skin is dry and dehydrated from spending a little too much time in the sun (yikes!). We get it though—you’re meant to be bare skin, open toes, and feet in the sand all summer long. So as a solution we'll teach you how to make your own aloe vera gel.
Aloe vera is the key to managing sunburns. As a succulent plant species of the genus Aloe, its gelatinous substance provides a protective barrier that helps keep moisture locked in. Its cooling effects reduce acne inflammation and assist especially in healing, removing redness, and soothing dry skin. It also contains antioxidants, enzymes, Vitamins A and C, and it is highly anti-inflammatory.
Why Green Tea? We added a green tea infusion to this recipe because it is also a powerful antioxidant that fights DNA damage from UV rays to prevent skin cancer. The origin of green tea being used as a healing tool stems way back to the 7th century when Japanese monks visited China to study Zen Buddhism. It later became a staple as Japanese monks continued to drink it for maintaining energy and mental focus during meditation. Green tea is also a potent anti-aging ingredient when ingested or applied topically. Learn how to make your own aloe vera gel for some ultra cooling relief!
How to Make Your Own Aloe Vera Gel
2 hours 5 minutes
For all those accidental naps in the sun, try our #LEVOmade aloe vera gel.
- 1/4 cup fractionated coconut oil
- 2-3 tablespoons of loose leaf green tea
- 1/4 cup witch hazel
- 1/2 cup aloe vera gel
- 1 teaspoon vitamin E
- Using a mortar and pestle, make sure to lightly crush the 2-3 tablespoons of green tea to fill the Herb Pod.
- Add the coconut oil to the reservoir. Set the temperature to 180 degrees and the time to 2.5 hours.
- When the infusion has finished, add vitamin E and then dispense into a glass jar and let cool 10 minutes.
- Mix cooled tea infusion, witch hazel and aloe vera in the spray bottle by using a funnel.
- Shake well before using.
- Store in an airtight container in the fridge for extra cooling effect.
- Don’t let the sun get you! Give it that extra care with our after sun gel for the rest of your summer days. And as always, share what you make with @LEVO_Oil and be sure to tag it with #LEVOmade.